Wednesday 18 November 2015

A probably valueless statement

Dear reader,

I've been thinking for quite a while now about ordering a certain t-shirt on amazon. Years ago I've read a book which was set partly in the time of the Vietnam war. There were accordingly protests and I read for the first time the phrase “Fight for freedom is like fucking for virginity”. I liked that phrase, because it reflects the absurdity of war. Especially with the current wars now, a t-shirt with that phrase seemed a good idea to me. Granted, if t-shirts with phrases would stop wars or could change anything, that would be more than fine. I am aware that a t-shirt like that is meaningless in the end. On the same night when the attacks in Paris had happened, I checked amazon nonetheless and found the following one and as you can see, I've received it, too. Be patient about the picture of me. I rarely make selfies and it's even rarer I use delayed-action shutter release. I bought the t-shirt on the German amazon website and will give you the link to it below. I will also link you to the American amazon website for a similar t-shirt, if you like to buy it. The American amazon website doesn't sell the exact one I have. It's not exactly the phrase I have read, but it's close enough. Because the t-shirt reads: “Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity.”

Thinking about sense and senselessness of certain actions, I keep thinking about the following statement by the writer and political activist Ward Churchill, although it seems maybe somewhat contradicting the t-shirt phrase:

"What I want is for civilization to stop killing my people's children. If that can be accomplished peacefully, I will be glad. If signing a petition will get those in power to stop killing Indian children, I will put my name at the top of the list. If marching in a protest will do it, I'll walk as far as you want. If holding a candle will do it, I'll hold two. If singing protest songs will do it, I'll sing whatever songs you want me to sing. If living simply will do it, I will live extremely simply. If voting will do it, I'll vote. But all of those things are allowed by those in power, and none of those things will ever stop those in power from killing Indian children. They never have, and they never will. Given that my people's children are being killed, you have no grounds to complain at whatever means I use to protect the lives of my people's children. And I will do whatever it takes."

Until next blog,
sarah


did it with delayed-action shutter release, so be patient judging the photo

similar t-shirt on amazon.com and my t-shirt on the German amazon (sadly not available exactly like that on amazon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment