Saturday 7 July 2012

Ventriloquism helps

Dear reader,

I knew for a while that the ventriloquist Paul Winchell is dead. I didn't knew it just when I wrote that post where I wrote about some known ventriloquists. But at the beginning of this week I got an idea of what those things he had written in the last chapter of his book "Ventriloquism For Fun & Profit" could mean. This entry today couldn't come close to a letter or e-mail to him. But I fear it's the only thing left to do for me now. Because as much as I would have liked to write to him, I cannot do that anymore. So all that's left for me is this blog entry here.

In the last chapter Paul Winchell argues especially for 2 things: one is bringing ventriloquism into schools to teach in classes, the other thing is using ventriloquism as a sort of speech therapy for people who stutter or lisp. His points are sharp as they are simple and logical:

We probably all were mad a lot about the seemingly meaningless topics in higher classes in school. Above all in mathematics in higher classes, which has things that are so far beyond anything we need in our daily life like nothing else. They are not totally meaningless as such, but the percentage of students who take on a job in a field that needs these kinds of math is very very low. Most people feel more like this is torture.

Paul Winchell says that it makes much more sense to teach and learn ventriloquism instead. This is because you have to use both hands at any time: one hand to bring the figure to life and the other hand for yourself at least to gesture a bit. Because you use both hands, both brain hemispheres are active, get connected and are used at the same time. It's one thing to argue that to write essays teaches you to structure and make good points. It's a totally different thing, I think, not only to entertain, but also to be creative and bring together both brain hemispheres at the same time. What really makes sense in the long run and is a true argument here?

Stuttering, according to Paul Winchell, happens with a kid, who thinks faster than he or she is able to speak their thoughts. Their thoughts come faster than the words can come out. Thus they stutter. As a ventriloquist you need to bring the figure to life for starters and also you have to think for two people at the same time: talk for yourself and at the same time think about what the figure can say in reply and when the figure is talking you need to think about what you can say to that in reply yourself. The kid has to think about many things. That slows down the many thoughts, thus the stuttering stops.

Lisping, Paul Winchell says, is a certain way of saying s-sounds in a different way than people, who don't lisp.  For lisping s-sounds are substituted for th. Ventriloquism is similar. About a hand full of sounds are made with the lips. F for example is such a letter. But when you say f-sounds with a th instead, you get a pretty decent substitution. You get rid of the lisping the similar way. If a lisping child understands the sound substitution for ventriloquism and is able to do that, the child should have no problem at all using the same principle for the s-sounds and the lisping is history, as they say.

At the beginning of this week now I thought about my own handicap. When I was born my upper jaw, my upper palate and my upper lip where split in two. (Hence this handicap is called double cleft-palate.) Well, that's not the case anymore. I had surgery of course. Before the surgeries the upper palate was open and the upper lip couldn't close properly. Which means, that kids with this handicap, at least until they had surgery, couldn't use their upper lip the right way. With ventriloquism you don't need your lips at all.

I wish I had known about ventriloquism, sound substitution and sound making earlier. I think ventriloquism is also a chance for people with the handicap like mine. We make some sounds different from other people and hear ourselves making the sounds a different way than they actually sound for other people. That's why people with a handicap like mine often need to go to a speech therapist. With the sound substitution used for ventriloquism people without a handicap at least speak inarticulate or worse than usual. Unless they all learn to make perfect sound substitutions.

Paul Winchell also was the person, who wrote in his book that the tip of the tongue is at the same place on the roof of the mouth for the sounds D, N and T. I didn't read that in any other book so far and my sound making can't be taken as criteria with my handicap. So T is one of the letters that may be difficult for someone with my handicap. Paul Winchell's note was a really good one for me to know where to be with the tip of my tongue for the T.

A couple of weeks ago I recorded my voice. Just to hear what I sound like now. I had only the memory of recordings of my voice from when I was a child.  I wanted to know how I sound. I needed several attempts to press the record button. I forced myself to record my voice on my computer. The first time was a failure. I had connected the plugs for the mic and the headphones the wrong way. The second time the display showed me green for sound recording. After I had spoken the 2 lines to set up the mic and recorded it, I was curious to listen to my voice right away. I deleted the recording right after I heard myself. I know many people hate their own voice. But I think I should record myself speaking a couple of lines with sound substitution. At least all people sound equally terrible that way. Ventriloquism gives the same rights for all.

As I write this post here the sadness from the beginning of this week comes back. This entry seems so meaningless to me. But what I really want, to write to Paul Winchell, is not possible anymore. I'm about 7 years too late. Paul Winchell was 82 years old when he died of natural causes in 2005 (according to wikipedia). What's left is this blog entry.

Until next blog,

sarah

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    Another very insightful blog. What a revelation, and some neat pointers you picked up from Paul. Most people are very self critical and as I often say are not "Qualified" to judge their own sound for beauty or 'liking' it. Some recording artists and even actors are so self critical they never watch their own work....
    The other thing is that if you keep recording you will learn not only what you need to work on, but also start seeing where you came from and how far you have gotten. If you can't stand listening at this time, just archive it and listen in the future.

    Finally, I believe Paul is already 'seeing' your letter, in form of this blog, and I think he would be proud that you studied and learned from his labor of love. The best tribute you can do for him is continue to improve and nourish the seeds he planted in you.

    Keep up the good work,
    Aino

    PS. And don't forget to dedicate your first big show to Paul...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed talking with you today Sarah and I'm really looking forward to hearing what I'm confident will be a wonderful performance. We none of us understand the quality and power of our own voices. People tell me about the special quality of my voice which I cannot deny even although I cannot myself hear it, and let me assure you Sarah yours will be no less than mine. If I have learned anything at all it is that those enduring adversity convey a wonderfully compassionate healing power deep within their voices that while we do not hear it everybody else feels moved by it! Find your voice Sarah it is your time, we need to hear the gift it stores for us, and for you.

    ReplyDelete