Wednesday 26 November 2014

Pain be gone!

Dear reader,

a couple of years ago I had a contact on the internet. One evening he wrote to me that he has had a headache. I wrote him that I know something with pain that might quite likely help him. He didn't have any pain anymore, but wanted to know anyway what I would have written to him to help. So I told him that I give pain a shape, something spiky and edgy and then turn it into something round and smooth, as I already explained in more detail in my Pain control post. He was very interested and fascinated by that. Then I didn't see him for a longer time. When he was online again after several weeks, he told me that he has had a skin rash. His hands had been red and must have hurt a lot. But he remembered what I have told him before and because of that his hands barely hurt him at all. He was absolutely delighted.


Sidney Rosen has a in his collection of Dr. Milton Erickson stories “My Voice Will Go with You: The Teaching Tales of Milton H. Ericksona story called “Calluses”, in which Erickson helped a construction worker, who was in much pain and paralysed except for using his arms and in after a heavy accident. Erickson suggested to him to tell his family and friends to bring him comic books and to tell the nurse to get him paste and scissors. He was to create scrapbooks from the comics. And every time a fellow workman would land in hospital, he should send one of those book to him.


When I was little, I knew my aunt on my father's side always with a dog. These days she doesn't have a dog anymore. After the last one died, she decided against a new one, so she could travel a bit more freely. She does takes care of the dogs of neighbours regularly. In the newspaper my parents get there's always a Peanuts comic. I collected the ones with Snoopy and put them together to a thin scrapbook for my aunt for her birthday. An old lady doesn't necessarily read comic. But, as I wrote in a card I included, this wasn't a usual comic book. She called me then to tell me she reads a page or two every day and was very happy about it.


I can only recommend to everyone who wants to make a book like that too, to start collecting very early on. If that book should be finished at a certain date, like for a birthday or christmas. It takes time to have all the “right” comics together, possibly longer than you expect it to take. Even with thin books like I used them. Below you can see a really tiny book I was lucky enough to just have, which I filled with quotes for a friend of mine, also cut from the newspaper. Two pages inside as an example for you and the cover.

Until next blog,
sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment