Thursday 23 April 2015

Dandelion alert... or dandelion jelly part 1

Dear reader,

finally it's time: the dandelions are blooming in the garden I share with my neighbours here. Time for me to get the dandelions. I never would have thought, that I'd be craving for dandelion. The jelly is really good thought and very easy to make. At least the recipe I use. By the way, my father usually doesn't like jelly, because jelly easily falls from the bread roll. He liked this jelly a lot though. I'll write you the jelly the way I make it. Other variations are also possible, of course. I'll write you those, too. First of all my recipe with comments. There really are just two steps, if you don't count picking the dandelions:

(The recipe I use is very American unfriendly, I suppose with g and l and not cups. Anna Hackman from Green Talk has a cups-based recipe similar to mine)

Ingredients:
150 g of dandelion flowers (or better 200 petals and only use the yellow part)
1 litre of water
2 table spoons of lemon juice
500 g jelling sugar (again sorry, American readers. I understand that most Americans use sugar and/or pectin. I never have. Follow Anna Hackman's recipe, see link below).

It's best to pick the flowers around noon, when they are in full bloom. Closed blooms don't have the full aroma like open ones. Therefore I'd also suggest to use the flowers right away or let them sit for no longer than one night. Drying flowers also close. Also you should ideally pick them in your own garden or at least as far away from exhaust gasses as possible, they also should be as pesticides free as possible, also don't pick them where lots of dogs are known to leave their marks and such. Kids and grandchildren are certainly easily animated to pick them and enjoy doing it.

The easiest way to pick the flowers is either to come from above, close your fingertips around the bottom of the flower and pull. Alternatively you could also get underneath the flower, palm facing upwards, with the peduncle between your index and middle finger just pull upwards. Both methods are easy to get the peduncle cut quite short from the flower most of the time. Check it still, if everything is as short as can be. Otherwise the jelly will be bitter, which would be atypical and means there have been to many peduncles and bitter-tasting compounds that go with them. Or pick 200 flowers and pull out the yellow petals. It's not that much more work and the bitter components are definitely not in the jelly then.

Once you have the flowers, this is the first step:

1. Put the flowers in a pot, add the water and let it boil. Once it boils, let it boil for about 5 minutes. Then put the lid on it and let it just sit for about 24 hours. 
That's it already for the first step.

Anna Hackman from Green Talk says that you can let the juice sit over night. Here is the recipe she uses.The American cups are certainly rather strange for German-speaking people. I'd suggest in any case to cook the flowers that very first time right away, which shouldn't be too hard. It's done fast.
Dandelion honey is a bit different, although similar. For that the most people actually cut the yellow petals and don't use any green parts at all. I found a German website suggesting to use the tops of fir needles as an alternative, too.

Another German website suggested adding pieces of apple or a glass of apple puree. A good advice from there was to add fruits with not too strong a taste of its own, because it will cover the rather soft taste of the dandelions.

A well known and often used German website for recipes has several variations of dandelion jelly. One suggested using 1 litre of (naturally cloudy) apple juice instead of 1 litre of water to boil the flowers in. Certainly a variation I'll test soon.

The recipe I used had 100 g of dandelion flowers and 50 g of daisies. But the latter are considerably smaller and almost don't grow in my garden, so I take 150 g of dandelions. I'm sure the recipe could also be used with other flowers just as well. For example the other day I watched similar recipe with rose petals.

I'd definitely suggest for you English reading readers of my blog to check out Anna Hackman's dandelion prep video.

Sustainable Mama does it the “American way”, watch her video for ideas how you can do it with cups and that. Sustainable Mama as well as the Stillman's Family sterilise their can's. I found that all American videos I watched have that. I don't do it. But we have other cans anyway. Just watch the videos I list here, you'll get ideas how to do it, I think.

The Stillman's Family also has a great video, she shows how to pull the petals out, so she's closer to dandelion honey.

2leelou Preserves has another rather extensive (15 minutes) video, but she's quite charming, I think and thorough in her explanations and really shows you step by step.

I hope the videos help you and compensate for the rather not so helpful not-cups recipe I have listed here on my blog.

So that's it for the first step. I'll post the final step tomorrow, when I will have done it with mine, too.

Until next blog,
sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment